August 5th, 2009 by ariana
Or lack thereof!
With the countdown to the big day just 10 days and counting (ahhhhhhh!) I’m definitely feeling the pressure.
- Ordered the mod monkey plates, napkins, party hats, monkey pinata, cups etc from 1stwishes.com.
- Ordered a slew of other things from Oriental trading including monkey bubbles, monkey head cups, monkey bean bag toss game, pinata candy and toy assortment, yellow party bags for favors, monkey masks and foam balls so we can play “dodge the coconuts.” Dodge the coconuts is like dodge ball, except instead of throwing the ball AT the other team you throw the balls up in the air and the kids have to try to not get hit by the falling “coconuts”.
Created and ordered a poster from PoseterBrain.com. For $20 shipped you can get a large 3 foot x 4 foot poster printed. We will spray glue and attach it to foam core to create our “pin the tail on the monkey” game.
Left to do:
- Make marshmallow fondant (which I’ve never done before so wish me LUCK!)
- Make a practice cake because I am soooo not a baker. The cake I am going to ATTEMPT to make is only 6”, so I think I will have to make cupcakes too!
- Design and make a birthday banner (I already bought the supplies).
- Plan Menu! We’re doing a BBQ, but I have to figure out what drinks & side dishes to make/buy. I was thinking of maybe ‘jungle juice” for the kids and Banana daiquiris for the adults (in addition to beer & wine of course!)
- Make favor tags for the goody bags and cupcake toppers.
- Figure out WHERE in our little property we can fit 30 people! If we want to use the yard for some sprinkler and other games for the kids, we will have to fit a LOT of seating under our pergola. Speaking of seating I think we will need to rent some chairs too.
- Design and get thank you cards printed
- Not really party related, but I need to squeeze in some time to do Jasper’s cake smash photos. Which requires me finding a cake to smash that I like for pictures (no, I’m not going to attempt to make that one!).
- Make Jasper’s One Year video/slideshow.
- Make him a shirt with a mod monkey on it using inkjet tranfer paper.. or just buy this one from Etsy!
Hmmm, I think there are a few dozen other things that I’m forgetting, like that we have to eradicate the ant problem down on the lawn so we can play games there, and powerwash the wicker chairs and oh about a million other little things to get the house ready for so much company.
Party at chucky cheese is sounding really good right about now!
And now the educational portion of today’s post: some fun resources that I found while searching around for 1st birthday party ideas:
A Blog post with links to tons of real people’s birthday parties.. fabulous for ideas.
Top Party Ideas – theme party ideas complete with invitation ideas, recipes, favors and party games
31 Awesome Birthday Cake Designs
Cake pan for giant cupcake
Mod Monkey Party Supplies from 1stwishes.com
Mod Monkey Birthday Party Invitations – yep, I opened an etsy shop, you can grab my design here!
Mod Monkey Pin the Tail on the Monkey Game – get this from my etsy shop too.
Monkey Birthday Party from Hostess Blog.
Mod Monkey Baby Shower from Hostess Blog
Parenting.com Monkey Cake Recipe
Martha Stewart Monkey Cupcakes
Martha Stewart Monkey Cake (caution, the versions of this cake I’ve seen made by “real” aka “not martha” people don’t look nearly as nice!)
Monkey Party Game Ideas
I’ll probably keep adding more links as I find them. What were your best sources/links for party planning?
You might also like
|Third Trimester! I can't believe it's here already. Everyone said time would fly by once we found out the gender and that...||Second Birthday Party Planning is Underway.. Wow, it just really snuck up on me.. it's the middle of July, which means I have just over a month to...||Mommy SOS: Toddlers and Sleep (or lack thereof) Hi - yes, I'm back from ImagingUSA.. though you wouldn't know it by the silence around here lately! That's...||1st Birthday Party Invitation Designs I mentioned a few weeks ago that I had Jasper's theme planned out: Leopalooza (Lion/safari theme) and...|