Jasper Discovers his Hands

For a few weeks now Jasper would lay in his crib and with his left hand only (I think he’s going to be a lefty!) would make a little pincer gesture with his thumb and forefinger. Then he would move it in front of his eye almost like he was looking into it like it was a telescope. I couldn’t figure out what he was trying to do.

Then all of the sudden a few days ago he started making a fist instead and would bring it to his face and stare at it.. and then it hit me, he is trying to put his hand into his mouth! (Or at least he’s discovering that his hands are his and can control them).

It’s funny though because I’ve only seen him successfully reach his mouth a few times, most of the time he misses and hits his chin or his far head. It’s really cute though to see him concentrating so hard.. so I decided to capture it on video:

I’m hoping he masters the skill soon since he’s terrible at keeping the pacifier in his mouth.. at least this way he’ll have a self soothing mechanism!

Big Boy Bed and Other Sleep Issues About 2 months or so ago, Jasper went from lying down in his crib and saying "Byeeeeee Mommy" as I left...
Picture of the “Big Boy Bed” Or the "cowboy" bed as we like to call it.. Mrs. Brown asked what it looked like so I took a snapshot...
Jasper Discovers His Feet Happy 15 weeks baby boy!...
Crib & Bassinet Jeff's softball game was canceled last night, so I cajoled him into setting up the crib! Baby...

TheRightWife, you will definitely get a lot of use out of them postpardum (for better or for worse!!)

Natalie, the camera is the canon digital rebel, the newest model.. the xti I think it’s called?

Natalie says:

Your son is adorable! And these are quality pictures – what kind of camera do you have?

TheRightWife says:

Jasper is too adorable – I can’t wait to experience these same things in just a few short weeks!

I had your other website listed on my blogroll, so didn’t realize you had been spending more time on this one now. I did some catching up and thanks for the hot tips on post partum clothing! I’m looking forward to getting out of maternity clothes, but it is good to know that I can rely on them for transition purposes!

marybeth says:

I also want to mention that I just posted about a GREAT Pampers deal at Babies R Us on my site, http://www.babygoodbuys.com. Also, I highly recommend the book “The 90 Minute Baby Sleep Program.” It relates to your post below, and it could be very helpful!

tryingin2007 says:

awwww. cute! ginny just found her hands as well. it’s an amazing time!

Jill says:

He is too darn cute! I know you’ve already received it, but I gave you an award in my blog. :)

Jennifer says:

Gosh, that’s fascinating. It’s just absolutely amazing to watch a baby learn and grow…and sometimes it’s hard to step out of the very intense and subjective point of view of being the mom to be able to enjoy and appreciate all the new moments they experience. You’ll be glad you captured that.

Melanie says:

i loved it when she discovered her hands! it was so cool to watch her stare at them! i wanna say around 3 months she was able to get her hand in her mouth when she wanted too, but it was still another month until she had complete control over it. and I’m STILL waiting for her to be able to put the paci back in when she wants it!

Christine says:

Jasper is getting so big…TOO CUTE!!!

BTW…I awarded you with the “I Love your Blog” Award on my blog.

Check it out.

Christine

Marybeth says:

I love baby hands! My little boy was born exactly a month before Jasper (on July 19th) and it’s fun to see them experience the same thing. Jasper is SO cute–you must stare at him all day!

Thanks! I think he looks like a little man here because he’s wearing “big boy pants” as we call them :)

mandoo says:

Love the video! He’s already starting to look like a little boy, not just a baby.